top of page
St James church
( Pontypool )
This church was built in 1821 to provide a home for the English speaking congregation of Pontypool, who were then having to attend Welsh speaking services at St.Cadoc's, Trevethin.
The increase in the local population meant that it soon needed enlarging and this was done by the addition of aisle, chancel and vestry in 1854, possibly designed by the Monmouth Diocesan architect, T.H.Wyatt, who had earlier enlarged St.Cadoc's. Two histories of the churches in Monmouthshire suggest later dates of 1871 and 1877 for the alterations, but their appearance supports a date of 1854.
bottom of page