top of page

Rosewarne House - Now known as Holman House.

 

( taken from the sales pitch )

 

Large house, latterly a residential home. Circa 1815, for the Harris family (copper mining and smelting); restored 1911 by H.M.Holman. Granite ashlar, slate roof. H-plan formed by main range with short projecting and long receding wings. Greek Revival style. Two storeys and 1:3:1 bays, symmetrical, the outer bays projected as short pedimented wings; plinth with central 3-bay span of 6 steps, 1st floor band, moulded cornice and coped blocking course, banded clasping pilasters to the corners. The recessed 3-bay centre is spanned by a porch in the form of a Doric colonnade tetrastyle in antis with fluted columns, triglyph frieze and mutule cornice, its roof forming a balcony protected by an elegant wrought-iron balustrade of intersecting circles with Greek-key standards; under this porch is a segmental-headed doorway with panelled double doors and traceried overlight, flanked by tall 15-pane sashed windows; above it are 3 windows, the 1st furnished with a glazed door and the others with 12-pane sashes; all these openings with plain reveals. The wings have tall 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor in shallow round-headed recesses, 12-pane sashes above, and the corners of their pediments are decorated with angled anthemions. Ridge chimneys on the wings.The left return wall has inter alia a 2-storey bow with tall 18-pane sashed windows. The right-hand return wall of 1:5:1 bays, the centre breaking forwards slightly, with raised quoins and no band, has windows with raised keystones, those at ground floor of the centre being French windows and the 4th and 5th of these altered, and the others sashed, with glazing bars; plain frieze, moulded cornice, and parapet with anthemion upstands. To the rear of this wing is a large quadrantal single-storey conservatory of 9 bays with flat-faced piers, full-height 21-pane sashed windows, plain frieze, moulded cornice and low parapet with anthemion upstands; and at the apex of its shallow conical roof, a wide lantern. Interior: cubic entrance hall with front and rear screens of polished red granite Corinthian columns distyle in antis, with moulded plaster capitals and elaborate entablature and cornice carried round; marble floor with geometrical patterns, granite fireplace with fluted Doric semicolumns; beyond this hall, a fine geometrical staircase with delicate scrolled wrought-iron balusters; panelled doors with Greek key decoration; between the principal rooms in the south wing, a small music room with fan-shaped acoustic ceiling.

Take a walk.

£15.00Price