@ RAF Stenigot.
RAF Stenigot was a Second World War radar station situated at Stenigot, near Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire.
It was part of the Chain Home radar network, intended to provide long range early warning for raids from Luftflotte 5 and the northern elements of Luftflotte 2 along the approaches to Sheffield and Nottingham and the central Midlands.
After the Second World War, the site was retained as part of the Chain Home network. In 1959 it was upgraded to a communications relay site as part of the ACE High programme, which involved adding four tropospheric scatter dishes.
The site was decommissioned in the late 1980s and was mostly demolished by 1996.
The radar tower is a Grade II listed structure and is now used by the RAF Aerial Erector School for selection tests for possible recruits, but this operation will be done elsewhere as part of MOD restructuring.
There is a memorial at the top to a former RAF aerial erector.
Three of four dishes on site have been scrapped recently.
top of page
bottom of page