Nocton Hall is a historic Grade II listed buildingin the village of Nocton, in Lincolnshire, England.
Originally constructed for the Ellys family, it burnt down in 1834 and was rebuilt in 1841 for the first
Earl of Ripon, who lived at the steward's house in Nocton while the house was being built. The US
Army's 7th General Hospital was based at Nocton Hall during the Second World War.
There is a famous chestnut tree outside which is so old it needs wooden supports. It was planted by the fifth of King Henry VIII's wives, Katherine Howard on a visit to Nocton on 13 October 1541. They stayed with Thomas Wymbishe at a manor house where Nocton Priory stood later, both of which have no visible remains. This manor came into the ownership of the Towneley family of Lancashire from 1553 to 1661. Upon his death, it was inherited by Thomas’ sister Francis, the wife of Sir Richard Towneley. It then followed the inheritance of the main Towneley Estate, until its sale by Richard Towneley (who was born there) to pay fines relating to the family’s royalist support in the English Civil War.
In 1834 the hall suffered a fire and was rebuilt by Robert Hobart, Secretary of State (after whom the capital of Tasmania was named).
In 1940 with the outbreak of the Second World War it was originally taken over by the Army and was the home of 21st Casualty Clearing Station (CCS) RAMC until it was deployed in North Africa in June 1942. Sometime after this it was taken over by the Air Ministry, remaining an RAF hospital until its closure in 1983.
In the mid 1980s Torrie Richardson bought Nocton Hall, the surrounding wood, woodland, grassland and cottages. Selling the cottages on for redevelopment allowed him to develop Nocton Hall as a Residential Home. Nocton Hall Residential home ran a summer fête for the village on their lawn and employed many local people. Torrie's son, Gary, took control of the business in the early 1990s. The home ran into difficulty and closed in the mid 1990s, and was sold by the receivers to new owners, Leda Properties of Oxford. Leda also bought the RAF Hospital site from the Ministry of Defence.