top of page
( Nottinghamshire )
1925 - 2015
Thoresby colliery opened in 1925. The first two shafts in 1925 were sunk to 690 metres (2,260 ft). The shafts were deepened by 109 metres (358 ft) in the 1950s. After privatization of the National Coal Board in the 1990s the mine was taken over by RJB Mining (later UK Coal as UK Coal Thoresby Ltd).
Coal seams worked by or available to the pit included the Parkgate seam (from 1977 after closure of Ollerton Colliery); the Deep Soft seam; and the High Hazels seam (working ceased 1983).At one time the pit produced up to 100,000 tonnes in a week, making profits of £50m a year, but by April 2014 it was announced that the pit would close in July 2015.
The colliery's 600 employees had been reduced to 360 by the time of the closure in July 2015. Following this announcement, the government offered a loan of £10m to carry out the manager closure. The reasons for closure were blamed on falling coal prices and a fire at Daw Mill Colliery in Warwickshire.
bottom of page